I've been rereading the rules concerning dread because it didn't seem to have any great impact in our ongoing campaign. (We played 4-5 sessions so far.) As I see it, PCs don't get dread that easily if the GM doesn't spend DSPs (and it's not cheap, mind you) but most importantly, dread appears to be really easy to get rid of :
- you can spend a Chronicle point to get rid of it all
- you can also sleep and recover half MST per night (this means at least 3 points, plus healing wounds)
- you can also spend Momentum to steel nerves (-1 dread/momentum)
- you lose a point for a scene change/milestone
- and if it's not enough, one of your buddies can make a psychotherapy test but this is the least efficient way.
In my game, the most dread a PC accumulated was 5, I think, but his MST is 10, so, all gone in one night.
That made me wonder about how other people handle those rules at their table. Does it have an impact on your games ? How often are you willing to spend 2 DSP to inflict 1 dread on a PC ? Do players really worry about their dread tally ?
Login below to reply: